Julie possesses all the best qualities of a CrossFitter. Julie is modest, kind, friendly, eager, coachable, hard working, and incredibly tenacious. I remember when I first met Julie I knew that she was going to be a great CrossFit athlete because of her commitment to certain movments and her fearlessness when it came to moving the barbell. Julie is constantly hanging around before and after classes to work on her weaknesses. What makes Julie especially special is that she was born and raised in Southie! Below are some Q&A’s that were completed by our little tomb raider:
How did you get involved in CrossFit?
- A few friends always talked about it. I used to just go to a traditional gym and I taught spin classes, but was constantly told I’ve never really worked out until I’ve done a CrossFit class. I tried it, and they were right. I’m hooked!
- A double WOD with Beretta! 10 min AMRAP 5 Clean and Jerks (135/95) and 10 C2B Pull Ups. Rest 10 min then another 10 min AMRAP 15 KB Swings (2/1.5) and 15 Burpees. Modified it all, but still couldn’t walk for about 3 days!!
When did you start coming to CrossFit Southie?
- March 2011
When did you realize CrossFit was right for you?
- I really liked my first few classes, but once I got familiar with the movements and started meeting people I felt like I was part of a team again. Everyone cheers for each other and pushes each other to do better no matter what skill level. I used to do competitive cheerleading throughout high school but had stopped during college. I ran and did spin to stay in shape, but it was never the same. It was very monotonous. CrossFit gave me goals. For example, it drove me crazy that with my gymnastic/cheerleading background I couldn’t do a handstand push up when I started, but that motivated me to get in the gym everyday to practice and build the strength I needed to do it.
What are your short term and long term goals of CrossFit?
- Short Term: Muscles Ups
- Long term:Do ALL workouts RX! Maybe even advanced! Oh and to beat Aaron at wall walks.
What is your biggest accomplishment?
- 200lb x 1 deadlift :) And chopping off almost 4 min off my Fran time since I started!! (First time I did it in 12:15rx, now its 8:52rx!)
What is your favorite WOD/Movement(s)?
- Pull ups and box jumps
- OVERHEAD SQUATS!!!!!
What do you do for a profession outside of CrossFit?
- Right now I bartend weekend nights at Stats in Southie, but I just graduated in May from UMass Boston with an Exercise and Health Sciences degree and am currently applying to nursing programs. I ideally want to work with kids using exercise as a form of medicine.
21 Overhead Squats(95,65)
21 Box Jumps (24/20)
15 Overhead Squats
15 Box Jumps
9 Overhead Squats
9 Box Jumps
Level 2 (75,55)
Level 1 (65, 35)